Twenty-two years ago a group of concerned Terrebonne Parish business leaders recognized the need to provide additional support to the local public school district. With much determination and hard work in 1991, 501(c)(3) non-profit status was granted to the Terrebonne Foundation for Academic Excellence in Public Education (TFAE) and our journey began.
The Foundation has as it's immediate goal to create an endowed fund of two million dollars, an amount roughly equal to one hundred dollars per public school student in Terrebonne Parish.
- Over $2.1 million on deposit with the Greater New Orleans Foundation.
- Received $395,000 in matching funds from LA-BESE enabling TFAE to award $903,000 in grant dollars to Terrebonne Parish public school teachers.
- Awarded 269 Teacher Grants and 84 School Impact grants since inception.
- Improved the lives of over 40,000 students in Terrebonne Parish public schools.
- Established the James J. Buquet, Jr. Award of Distinction to recognize a Terrebonne Parish public school graduate for vision and excellence in a chosen field or other areas of personal endeavor.
- Awarded the first $500 New Teacher Grants in 2012
- Introduced Dolly Parton's Imagination Library to Terrebonne Parish in August 2012.
"Great schools are everyone's business."